is Hare Krishna?
Events: Kirtan Festival
2004 - Hansadutta das
for Modern Man
By Hansadutta das
- A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
- Spiritual master and Founder-Acharya of the
Society for Krishna Consciousness, Sampradaya Acharya for the
Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya, translator/author/publisher of more
than 160 books, including Bhagavad-gita As It Is,
- (literally "Song of God") the primer in Vedic
"Bible" of India, spoken by Krishna 5,000 years ago to His disciple
Arjuna, teaching the fundamental principles of repeated birth and
death, transmigration of the soul, distinction between matter and
spirit, material elements and material nature, action and inaction, the
aim of life, the object of sacrifice, austerity and renunciation, yoga
process, duty, devotion to God.
- love, devotion to God.
- the holy name, the seed of devotional
in the heart of the sincere disciple by the spiritual master.
- the system of cultivating bhakti or pure
devotion to God,
untinged by sense gratification or philosophical speculation.
- the preliminary stage of transcendental love
- Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
- incarnation of Krishna who appeared in 15th
Navadvipa in Bengal to inaugurate the Sankirtan movement, the
congregational chanting of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra.
- False ego
- misidentification of the soul with matter
(the body and
- Goloka Vrindavan--see also Krishnaloka
- spiritual master.
- Hare Krishna maha-mantra
Hare Krishna, Krishna
Krishna, Hare Hare
This is the great chant for deliverance of the
names have been recommended especially for the present age, Kali-yuga.
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare
- Harinama Sankirtan
- congregational chanting or especially singing
of the holy
name, accompanied by musical instruments and dancing.
- the age of quarrel, the fourth and last age
in the cycle
of a maha-yuga and the age in which we are now living.
432,000 years, of which 5,000 years have already passed.
- fruitive action, for which there is always a
good or bad.
- glorification of the Supreme Lord through
vibration, chanting the holy name of Krishna.
- Krishna consciousness
- spiritual self-realisation, knowing the self
to be spirit
soul, part and parcel of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna
and thus the eternal servant of Krishna.
- the spiritual abode of the Supreme
Godhead, Krishna, situated in the Vaikuntha, spiritual sky, above the
- Maha-mantra--see also Hare Krishna
- (man=mind + tra=deliverance) a pure
deliver the mind from its material inclinations, a prayer or hymn.
- (ma=not + ya=this) illusion, one of
which deludes the living entities into forgetfulness of the Supreme
- food offered to Krishna and consequently
- the spiritual taste or flavour of a personal
with the Supreme Lord.
- the spiritual form of the Lord and the
transcendental form of the living entity, which is full of bliss,
knowledge and eternity.
- congregational singing or chanting of the
holy name, fame
and pastimes of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna, the
sacrifice prescribed in the scriptures for this age, Kali-yuga.
- the eight verses written by Lord Chaitanya
- the Bhagavat Purana, the scripture
to describe and explain Krishna's pastimes, the complete essence of all
the Vedic knowledge.
- one who can control his mind and senses, a
- the eternal planets of the spiritual sky.
- (literally, veda=knowledge) the four Vedas
Sama and Atharva) and their supplements (Bhagavad-gita,
Srimad-Bhagavatam, Puranas, Mahabharata, Vedanta Sutra, etc.).
- messengers of Krishna.
- messengers of Yamaraja
- the minister of death and the lower planets
authority of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna.
- linking the consciousness of the
entity with the supreme living entity, Krishna.
- one who practices yoga
Meditation & Prayer
The Holy Name -
Chanting the Holy Name
Back to Top